Unknown
Continuing the theme of custardy pies, this pie is ridiculously easy to make. It barely requires any baking (just the curry infused graham cracker crust, easy as pie)! I stumbled upon this recipe after getting a request for a banana cream pie. Not being a huge fan of bananas, I was looking for a twist on a standard banana cream pie and found this recipe. As a Jamaican, everything's better with rum, especially some good Appleton Estate Rum.


Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs from 9 (4 3/4 - by 2 1/4-inch) crackers
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
1 cup chilled heavy cream
6-8 teaspoons dark rum (depending on how good the rum is)
4 firm-ripe bananas

Read More: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Banana-Rum-Cream-Pie-237682#ixzz1DaaQXIZn

You may notice that this is slightly different from the version on the website. The main edit was that after reading the reviews, I decided to double the amount of rum the recipe calls for. Now, given that I was using really good rum, this may or may not have been necessary...but as I said, everything's better with a little rum. The combination of the rum with the curry and the hint of lemon from the lemon zest lead to a really interesting pie. Also, a great recipe if you're looking for an easy, cool dessert, either at the end of a longer complicated meal or as an easy contribution to a potluck dinner. The next time I make it I may mash the bananas for a more consistent flavor, I wasn't in love the slices, but the pie didn't last long which is always a good sign!


After two rounds of pies with easy crusts, it was back to mastering the pie crust, so look forward to more crusty recipes in my next adventure.
Labels: , , | edit post
2 Responses
  1. Steve Says:

    Hi there Kami!

    My name is Steve Walters and I recently started blogging at http://www.eatingbangkok.com, which is currently being updated with recipes, but in the next few months will be my vehicle for covering the food and restaurant scene in Bangkok Thailand.

    I am now in the process of meeting as many food bloggers as I can and I found your site http://nuhlikklebickle.blogspot.com recently and was pretty impressed. I've added your site to my Foodie Blogs list here: http://www.eatingbangkok.com/foodie-blogs/ and would also like to add you to my blogroll.

    If you could add my site to your blogroll and write back to let me know it has been added (foodie [at] eatingbangkok.com) I will add you to mine as well and the exchange would be greatly appreciated!

    As you might imagine I am very excited to get moved to Bangkok and get started on covering the food scene there as I feel it is an area that isn't well covered by English speaking bloggers. I plan on adding loads of great reviews, pictures and even video and will be holding contests as well. It should be fun, entertaining and informative for everyone that visits.

    Thank you so much in advance for adding me to your blogroll and I look forward to reading your posts (I've subscribed!) and maybe even featuring some of your own posts as I do plan on a weekly roundup of Thai themed recipes and posts from other food bloggers.

    Warm regards,
    Steve

    P.S. If you are on Twitter I would love to have you as a follower and I follow back:
    http://www.twitter.com/eatingbangkok


  2. Anonymous Says:

    Oh gosh, this is making me so hungry right now. Hmm...I'll go with some ice cream.


Post a Comment