Unknown
From Randomness

I'm not entirely sure where I get these whims from, but for some reason (I blame it on that joyofbaking site) I've been in a baking mood. Even more arbitrary, I had this hankering to bake my own bread. I had lots of time to kill last night (I was watching the Republicans whine on C-span, yay health care!), so it seemed like a good time to try my hand at baking with yeast.

As an aside, the last time I baked with yeast (making pretzels), I skipped a line in the recipe. Unfortunately for me, that was the line that said leave the dough to rise for 3 hours. The pretzels actually didn't taste that bad after the came out of the oven. In about a day or two, however, we could have used them as weapons.

Back to my bread. It was really fascinating working with yeast. The yeast/flour/etc mixture bubbled when I poured the warm water on it.

From Randomness
After kneading the dough for a while, I left it for 1.5 hrs to rise.

From Randomness

At this point the dough was really warm! So cool! So then I punched it back down, left it to rise again for about 45 minutes, then put it in my loaf pan, where I left it to rise for the third time, again for about 45 minutes.

From Randomness

From Randomness

From Randomness
Finally it was ready to go in the oven. Here comes the part where I thought I screwed it up. I took the pan out and then knocked the surface of the bread with my knuckles (you're supposed to get a hollow sound). It was definitely hollow, and I nearly burned my knuckles, but the bread felt really tough! I was about to feel defeated, but I decided to hope for the best. Sure enough, after I left the bread to cool overnight, in the morning the bread was soft and delicious! Success!

From Randomness
Labels: , | edit post
0 Responses

Post a Comment