Unknown
My friend Brett [second from the right in the below picture] has lost his almost decade long battle with cancer.





Even though I had a warning, it was just not enough. The last time I saw Brett, I sat with him for a few minutes holding his hand...and I couldn't find the words. They just weren't there.

It's a strange feeling, knowing that this may be the last time you see a person. My heart goes out, of course, to his family, his wonderful parents who've been through so much, his sister, his girlfriend, all of his [and our] friends.

The one thing I hold on to is that I was able to play a tiny part in building the Lego model of the Siebel Center he designed. He seemed so genuinely happy when it was completed [below I have a model of Siebel and the model we built].




Once Brett found a doll at his oncology clinic that he swore looked exactly like me and should be manufactured as the Kamilah doll.


This is a disjointed post.






I can't believe I have to do this grieving process again, and so soon. Brett, you were an inspiration to all of us. You continued through with the PhD program while going through treatment. Your only concern upon amputation seemed to be how soon you'd be able to be outdoors again hiking. In fact, less than a month after said amputation, you dressed up as the victim of a shark attack [see the above photo, Brett's holding the fake foot]. Your sense of humor...always amusing. I'll always be indebted to you and my other friends for your support in a difficult period in my life. Your crazy geohashing adventures...I should have gone on more, the one I did participate in ended up in the middle of a pretty dead cornfield [typical of the midwest] but was still fun, and at least we had pie [the picture at the top of the post is from that particular excursion].

So intelligent, insightful, optimistic...you were such a good person.

I just don't know if I'd be able to face illness and death so gracefully.

To Brett.
Labels: , | edit post
1 Response
  1. Unknown Says:

    That halloween night was just a few weeks after the day I met him for the first time. The one thing I remember more clearly is when a girl was staring at his costume while we were getting out of Legends. He stopped, looked at her and said "Yes, I take Halloween VERY SERIOUSLY". Boy, I thought, this guy is the most joyful and positive guy I've ever met. I thought with that attitude there was no battle he could fight and lose. Maybe he didn't lose, after all.

    I'm glad I had the opportunity to know him, he taught us a lot.


Post a Comment